It was an eerie scene Saturday morning in the 6600 block of Fairway Ave in Snoqualmie. Sunny blue skies set the backdrop for a destroyed home in a quiet neighborhood of expansive homes lining the front 9 of the TPC Snoqualmie Ridge golf course.
The morning of July 5th, neighbors were sweeping up firework debris from city streets while smoke detectors beeped from inside the charred, boarded up home.
Were fireworks to blame is the question. Many residents assume yes, as the fire began on the home’s rear, cedar shake roof. Neighbors of the destroyed home say a witness saw boys with bottle rockets on Fairway Ave, near the home, shortly before the fire began.
City of Snoqualmie Public Information OfficerJoan Pliego stated this afternoon, “The King county fire investigator has confirmed the house fire on July 4th was accidental and due to fireworks.”
The fast-moving fire engulfed the whole back of the home’s second story in just 40 minutes. Several fire trucks from the Snoqualmie Fire Department, Fall City Fire Department and Eastside Fire and Rescue responded and continued dosing the home hours after the fire was out. The home’s distinctive peaked roof collapsed inward.
The burnt home was boarded up as dark set in on the 4th of July. Plywood replaced kicked in doors, broken widows, holes made in the garage door made as fire crews battled the large blaze.
The homeowners were out-of-town at the time of the fire. No major injuries were reported due to the blaze. One firefighter did suffer a minor injury at the scene.
Fireworks are legal in Snoqualmie from 9AM – 12AM on July 4th, with many neighborhoods setting off elaborate displays. Some residents are now calling for the banning of fireworks, saying the 4th of July has gotten out of control on Snoqualmie Ridge.
The Snoqualmie Police Department reported that it responded to 24 fireworks complaint calls in Snoqualmie and 14 complaint calls in North Bend on July 4, 2014, with “no incidents, injuries or arrests.”